Re: [rp-ml] Fwd: Casting of UV Curable resins in Clear RTV

From: Todd Pederzani <tpederzani_at_protocam.com>
Date: Fri Apr 25 2008 - 16:02:51 EEST

ChathamRes@aol.com wrote:
> We made a few experiments with casting parts by using a UV Curable
> SOMOS resin in a mold made of Reynolds Sorta Clear silicone. The
> process appears to work reasonably well when we use sunlight to
> provide the UV energy.
>
> This may sound like an expensive way to make a casting, but it has
> several advantages if you are trying to reconstruct a master pattern
> from a mold.
>
> We were wondering if anyone on the list has tried a similar process?
I've heard of people using first article polyurethane castings as second
generation master patterns, what advantage does UV curable resin have
over polyurethanes? There's a substantial price difference in favor of
using polyurethane... What are some of the advantages you considered?

--
Todd Pederzani          tpederzani@protocam.com
ProtoCAM                Information Technology