[rp-ml] An interesting historic article about the first NC milling machine > POPULAR SCIENCE, August 1955

From: Erkut Negis <rpml_at_TurkCADCAM.net>
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 10:13:14 EEST

Dear all,

Recently I've found an interesting article about the first NC machine made
at MIT labs in 1955;

In an electronic lab at MIT, engineers now are Teaching Power Tools to Run
Themselves
By Hartley E. Howe
POPULAR SCIENCE, August 1955
Pages, 106, 107, 108, 109, 222

The pictures given below shows first 4 pages of the article;
http://www.turkcadcam.net/rapor/CADCAM-tarihcesi/MITcnc1.jpg
http://www.turkcadcam.net/rapor/CADCAM-tarihcesi/MITcnc2.jpg

The hand made drawings showing how the machine is programmed and run using
punched tapes (on an TX-0 computer) are very funny?.. :)

It is interesting that in these old days the author makes very accurate
estimations about the future of the technology. May be he forget to mention
about additive fabrication technologies however the main principle behind
these two are similar?..

I hope you will all enjoy the article.

By the way, I want to thank to Grayson Sigler, who put these unique scans to
his forum pages;
http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24723

Note: I do not have the rest of the article yet. If there is a member in
this group who can supply this, I'll appreciate much...

Regards

Erkut Negis

http://www.MfgTR.com
Marketplace for Manufacturing in Turkey

Synergy Publishing and Consulting Inc.
Istanbul, Turkey
http://www.TurkCADCAM.net

Towards Perfection In Manufacturing: Autofabrication Technologies:
http://www.turkcadcam.net/rapor/autofab