Re: [rp-ml] An interesting historic article about the first NC milling machine > POPULAR SCIENCE, August 1955

From: Kevin Adams <k.adams_at_therm-u-form.com>
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 22:20:26 EEST

Hi,

  Actually, the first NC application was Parsons Machine, Traverse City, MI, late 1940's or early 1950's. Parsons developed NC as a way to machine helicopter blades.

  Parsons patented NC, but the patent application was fought by several others. He was finally granted the patent in 1978.

  Kevin Adams
  G.M.S.C.

Delft Spline Systems <info@spline.nl> wrote:
  Hi Erkut,

Great story: thanks !
As far as I knew the Unisurf system at Renault in the early seventies was one of the earliest NC applications.
This one clearly wins by over 15 years.
And it shows that the technology forecasters have not made much progress in the past 50 years when they now predict Rapid Manufacturing of custom parts :-)

Lex Lennings.

At 10:13 02-05-2008, Erkut Negis wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>Recently I've found an interesting article about the first NC machine made
>at MIT labs in 1955;
>
>In an electronic lab at MIT, engineers now are Teaching Power Tools to Run
>Themselves
>By Hartley E. Howe
>POPULAR SCIENCE, August 1955
>Pages, 106, 107, 108, 109, 222
>
>The pictures given below shows first 4 pages of the article;
>http://www.turkcadcam.net/rapor/CADCAM-tarihcesi/MITcnc1.jpg
>http://www.turkcadcam.net/rapor/CADCAM-tarihcesi/MITcnc2.jpg
>
>The hand made drawings showing how the machine is programmed and run using
>punched tapes (on an TX-0 computer) are very funny?.. :)
>
>It is interesting that in these old days the author makes very accurate
>estimations about the future of the technology. May be he forget to mention
>about additive fabrication technologies however the main principle behind
>these two are similar?..
>
>I hope you will all enjoy the article.
>
>By the way, I want to thank to Grayson Sigler, who put these unique scans to
>his forum pages;
>http://www.lumenlab.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24723
>

>Note: I do not have the rest of the article yet. If there is a member in
>this group who can supply this, I'll appreciate much...
>

>Regards
>
>Erkut Negis
>
>http://www.MfgTR.com
>Marketplace for Manufacturing in Turkey
>
>Synergy Publishing and Consulting Inc.
>Istanbul, Turkey
>http://www.TurkCADCAM.net
>
>Towards Perfection In Manufacturing: Autofabrication Technologies:
>http://www.turkcadcam.net/rapor/autofab

Delft Spline Systems, The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info_at_spline.nl --- website: http://www.deskproto.com