Re: [rp-ml] QuickParts online quoting (patent 7305367)

From: Todd Pederzani <tpederzani_at_protocam.com>
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 19:01:32 EEST

G. Sachs wrote:
> Wim, I am not an attorney, but I believe that merely providing a
> service to people (that uses some proprietary method) without
> revealing the details about how it works (i.e. algorithm, formulas,
> etc.), does not make it public domain or impossible for someone else
> to patent (and thus publicly disclosing HOW it is being done).

I am also not a lawyer, but isn't "novelty" one of the criteria for
patents, at least as explained to us lay-people? If someone is already
doing it, I'd think it would be hard to patent it... I think this
thread has served its purpose -- if someone is threatened with patent
infringement, their lawyer can research Materalise's OnSite service and
do lawyer-ly things to the QuickParts patent. More prior art wouldn't
hurt, however, if there is any.

--
Todd Pederzani          tpederzani@protocam.com
ProtoCAM                Information Technology