RE: [rp-ml] Painting SLA Parts for Outdoor Use

From: Sean Wise <Sean_at_RePliFormInc.com>
Date: Fri Jul 25 2008 - 23:53:45 EEST

Re. Adrian's request,

I wrote the following message to Chuck Huizinga:

Chuck,

Have you considered plating your parts for outdoor use? It will make the
parts much stiffer and stronger and more stable to thermal and moisture
exposure. We'd be happy to do a sample for you that fits within a 6x6x2"
box.

Sean Wise

-----------------

Copper and nickel electroplating (or almost any metal coating) is completely
opaque and a very good moisture barrier so the coating will protect the
parts from the environment. Most of our customers use the parts we coat in
engineering testing (probably in-doors) but I know a few need to use the
coated parts in hot-humid out-door enviroments. If the parts need to be
painted for appearance sake, a paint/primer system that is suitable for
stainless steel will work well over the nickel top coat.

RePliForm Inc.
1583 Sulphur Spring Road, Suite 104
Baltimore, MD 21227
410 242-5110 (Ph)