Re: [rp-ml] International Terminology Standards

From: Markus Hitter <mah_at_jump-ing.de>
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 02:49:12 EET

Am 08.01.2009 um 16:28 schrieb Terry Wohlers:

> Both are broad and somewhat vague. "3D printing" could be defined
> as an industrial process of reproducing physical objects, one layer
> (sheet) upon another.

Yes, the term "3D Printing" tends to be inaccurate. To me, the main
benefits of our technology are:

- it works with arbitrary geometry

- it works "automatically" - no headaches about which tool to use how.

In theory, even a milling machine could fit this bill.

As there obviously can't be a term which can describes the
manufacturing technologies accurately, why not stick with "3D
Printing"? It describes the user experience so nicely: Press a
button, wait a moment, grab the result. Just like two-dimensional
printing.

MarKus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/