Re: [rp-ml] RP and Me

From: AlairEmory <alaire_at_javelin3d.com>
Date: Sat Jan 17 2009 - 01:27:24 EET

Well, I bought my first RP machine in 1991 - a Helisys LOM so that qualifies me as one of the Dinos.

The best things that have changed:

1. material choices
2. improved accuracy

What do I want to be able to do? Custom and affordable implantable medical devices off all sorts - direct from a Med RM system.

What currently limits this -
1. We need generational improvement in software for medical product design. Our CAD approaches are great for consumer products but a fundamental logic shift is required for creation of medical products design software that would integrate seamlessly with a Med RM system.

2. We need additional materials development. While there has been great development in this area (I am not criticizing) we need more, more, more. For example - the ability to create a bone-like pattern impregnated or coated with other bioactive materials - on-the-fly - needs to be a machine controlled function. I know there are people working on this -

3. Changes in our national approach to health care. It is very frustrating to communicate with researchers in Europe, Canada, Australia and South Africa and see what amazing things that they are doing in Med RP - and then to struggle in the US to try to getting support. The whole health insurance issue is just nuts in this country. I have been fortunate - again - I am not complaining - it just is that our national focus for many years has been elsewhere. Look at the decline in manufacturing.

What has surprised me most about the technology is that it has kept its individuality. I really thought that 3M - or someone like that would take over.

Alair Emory
Javelin 3D

-----