RE: [rp-ml] Stratasys Waterworks support system removal

From: Jeremy Pullin <Jeremy.Pullin_at_Renishaw.com>
Date: Mon Feb 02 2009 - 10:59:57 EET

Don

The ability to be able to dissolve support instead of manually breaking
it away is terrific but you need to be aware of a few things. Firstly
the sales folks will tell you to put your parts in the tanks for a hour
or two however in the real world this will be more like three or four
hours. Secondly you really should wash your parts off with water before
handling them. Thirdly don't try to save money by getting a standard
ultrasonic tank as I did here. The problem is that no matter what you
set your temperature cut off point to for the tank, the ultrasonics will
continue to heat the fluid up and once it gets past 70 degrees
centigrade your parts will warp and twist like a woman with a tight face
lift sucking on a lemon.

The last very important point is that if you build your parts with a
sparse fill, the inside will fill with the waterworks solution. When you
then put your lovely clean parts on your lovely clean desk this fluid
will then slowly leak out of the part. The result is a horrible slimy
surface. You walk away from your part thinking all is well and come back
a few hours later to see that your desk looks as if it been used for an
all night party for a gang of adolescent snails. We have resorted to
drilling small holes in parts and allowing them to drain. It's also a
good idea to let your parts soak in cold water for 30 minutes or so
before letting them dry in a sink. Like I said you won't find these
sorts of details in the sales brochures. Having said all that, I'd much
rather have the soluble support than the breakaway stuff.

Regards

        Jeremy Pullin
        Rapid Manufacturing Manager Renishaw Plc
        Tel: +44 (0) 1453 524524
        Extn 3055
        mailto:jeremy.pullin@renishaw.com
<mailto:jeremy.pullin@renishaw.com>