RE: [rp-ml] Article in July Popular Mechanics about Rapid Prototyping

From: Yasser Hosni <yhosni_at_mail.ucf.edu>
Date: Thu Jun 11 2009 - 22:33:11 EEST

Friends:
Combining 3D scanning with RP is not a new idea. What is relatively new is the advances in both fields that made the integration useful and easy to be used by practitioners. I recall that 12 years ago we had a project with Egypt to reverse enginee (RE)r through 3D scanning vital spare parts for some Russian machinery where the original drawings were not available. It took us 6 months to RE a bevel gear with poor accuracy. Similar experience with pump impeller was equally poor. At that time we used a combination of traditional measurements and "Cyberware" scanner. Since then the industry have advanced a long way that enabled free hand 3D scanning with high precision and at a lower cost.
The product cycle is shrinking with high rate as a result of advances in these technologies.

Take care,

YH

Yasser Hosni, Ph.D., PE.

Fellow IIE, Professor Emeritus
University of Central Florida
4000 Central Florida Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32816
Tel (407) 823-5817
Fax (407) 823-3413
E-mail: yhosni@mail.ucf.edu

>>> "Robert Gootzit" <rgootzit@cadcam4u.com> 6/10/2009 11:22 AM >>>
Gentleman,

Combining Digital Capture ( scanning ) with Additive Rapid Prototyping is
being done in lots of companies. We will be happy to discuss how this is
done, so, if you want to have a phone discussion please let us know.

Best regards,

Bob Gootzit
410-527-9999 ex112

  _____