RE: [rp-ml] Need to build a wax model and will trade services

From: Delft Spline Systems <info_at_spline.nl>
Date: Fri Sep 04 2009 - 22:58:05 EEST
Hi to all,

David's description of when to use a Thermojet (no undercuts, easier with a flat bottom surface) does in fact exactly match CNC machining.
For these models CNC machining will be a very valid option: you can use solid casting-wax, you can achieve a smoother surface than with any layered technology, and the models will be cheaper as well.
See the example wax model on www.deskproto.com/gallery/swank-coatring.htm  (it is a ring, a flat model is of course easier).

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.

At 04-09-2009, David Gurrola wrote:
....  The top surface can have plenty of detail, the Thermojet just doesnt do well with undercuts and the bottom surface ....

>>I am building a university seal model to make a silver casting, and I need to make 4 wax models for investment casting.  The models are 3-in in diameter and about 1/2-in thick....

Delft Spline Systems,  The Netherlands.
We offer DeskProto: affordable Rapid Prototyping using CNC milling.

mailto:info@spline.nl   ---   website: http://www.deskproto.com