Re: [rp-ml] free STL Files and other things we wish for in the new year

From: G. Sachs <sachsg_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 02:37:30 EET

OK, Rachael, but what about just simulating your new device - virtually - on a computer (which I am now doing more and more)? You can't simulate a full scale new wind turbine or IC engine even after you build your small RP model. Wouldn't virtual modeling and full dynamic and material simulation of new devices (including cell phones) trump even RP in the near future? Maybe young people should just skip RP and go straight to computer rendering and simulation? Note sure, but I know there was just WAY TOO much hyping about RP in the beginning (and much of this by people who have since left the field for greener pastures) and a lot of "far out" prognostication about how every home owner would make their own parts to repair their appliances. Who do you know that still fixes their own cars and appliances (the way they did way before RP existed)? Sorry, I'm I skeptic when it comes to people choosing exertion (mental or physical) over pure entertainment. G. Sachs ________________________________ From: Rachel Park <rachelp@rp-editorialservices.co.uk> To: G. Sachs <sachsg@sbcglobal.net> Cc: rp-ml <rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi> Sent: Mon, January 4, 2010 5:42:59 PM Subject: Re: [rp-ml] free STL Files and other things we wish for in the new year I find myself agreeing and disagreeing with various aspects of both of the last two posts. Essentially the "cheap" 3D printer is already here, and it is a capable one for concept development. The RapMan (not one of the excellent open source projects) is well under the $5000 price tag that has been on many people's wish lists over the last couple of years. What is missing is the "killer app" (sexual or otherwise, hopefully otherwise). The RapMan does not come close to the more refined processes now available for production etc, but it is within the reach of any company looking for entry level access to the technology, that want to improve their product development programmes and generate multiple prototypes quickly, easily and cheaply. While I agree with much of the ethos of G Sach's post and the unfortunate throw away culture we frequently encounter, and the average attention span he refers to generally resembles that of a knat, I do not necessarily agree that cheap is bad or that it equates to short-lived. Cheap can also mean accessible —
 to anyone, including young and enquiring minds that may not otherwise be engaged by such technology! Putting affordable machines, with affordable consumables into the hands of children as young as 5 is an enlightened approach, and made possible by the 'cheap' price tag for schools with limited funding. The pay-off may take a little time, but I will wager it will be worth it. The first primary schools in the UK are in receipt of this machine. I am no longer of the opinion that every household will one day have its own 3D printer (yes, I was carried along on that wave for a while), but I would not be too surprised if we get to a point in time when designers, engineers and manufacturers will ask their predecessors how on earth they ever developed ideas without one! Best wishes to all for 2010 Rachel Rachel Park | RP Editorial Services t: 07515 741188 e: rachelp_at_rp-editorialservices.co.uk w: www.rp-editorialservices.co.uk On 4 Jan 2010, at 20:11, G. Sachs wrote: > So what kinds of "great" things would consumers do with their dirt-cheap RP machines? What they do with their studio grade still and video cameras? What they do with their Cray-supercomputer class computers (which I would have killed for in the 70's)? No, I think you may have too much optimism and faith for how people end up using powerful tools (like TV) and how long their interest in such things lasts. My guess is that the 'attention span' for cheap RP machines would be about 1-month (in the 21st century) - then on to the next 'cheap thrill'. Cheap is not what is really needed to get increased interest in RP - new visions about what is possible, especially in terms of creating (real, meaningful and well paying) jobs, may be much more important. I'm kind of tired of cheap thrills (and conferences), it may be time for everyone to get back to work and really 'do something' (as Steve Jobs might say). > > G. Sachs > > From: George W. Hart <george_at_georgehart.com> > To: rp-ml_at_rapid.lpt.fi > Sent: Mon, January 4, 2010 1:57:09 PM > Subject: Re: [rp-ml] Detroit Bomber STL File > > To extend Marshall's point, I'll opine that it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if some killer app involving human sexuality is what it takes to get the economies of scale jump started, so that RP machine prices drop into the consumer appliance price range. > > (But let's *not* brainstorm ideas for such apps here on this forum.) > > George > http://www.georgehart.com > > P.S. My coolest RP sculpture yet: (kid-safe, don't worry) > http://www.georgehart.com/sculpture/ball-and-chain.html > > > > Marshall Burns wrote: > > Very interesting comment, Greg. Given the history of cave drawing, marble sculpture, painting on canvas, the printing press, photography, video tape, the Internet, and every other communication medium known to man and woman, there is no question that the popular advent of fabbers will come along with applications in pornography, both legal and illegal. In ten or 15 years, we’ll probably have prosecutors across the country arresting high school kids for 3D sexting. (Don’t trust the timing of my predictions; they’ve been dreadfully off before.) > > >