Re: [rp-ml] free STL Files and other things we wish for in the new year

From: Adrian Bowyer <A.Bowyer_at_bath.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 17:55:39 EET

Rachel Park wrote:

> Regarding the original hype of RP, it definitely worked against the
> growth of the industry to a certain extent. As a journalist in this area
> for many years, I admit I was probably guilty of it myself, however,
> now, with somewhat more perspective, experience and a healthy dose of
> reality, I am less inclined to believe that it will solve everything!!

Hi Rachel -

You may be right, but I think that the thing that's really held the
industry back is patents. Until these started to expire the cheapest RP
machines cost about 20,000 Euros. The degree to which that is
ridiculous is exposed by the cost of RepRap (350 Euros) and its various
derivatives.

It was ever thus. There is fascinating historical review in Michele
Boldrin and David Levine's book "Against Intellectual Monopoly" which,
in accordance with its own principles, is available free online:

http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/intellectual/against.htm

The book starts with a compelling account of the role of patents in
stifling steam-engine development in the 18th century...

Best wishes

Adrian

Dr Adrian Bowyer
http://people.bath.ac.uk/ensab