Re: [rp-ml] free STL Files and other (free) things we wish for in the new year

From: Adrian Bowyer <A.Bowyer_at_bath.ac.uk>
Date: Wed Jan 06 2010 - 22:20:14 EET

EdGrenda@aol.com wrote:

> But I can't think of one for advanced language,

Human language isn't a human invention. Ever since Chomsky we've known
that linguistic deep structure is evolutionarily hard-wired into us, so
that's one to chalk up on the other side.

writing,

Scent marking - Lots of animals can tell a great deal of stuff from
scent signals deliberately left by others.

Bee dancing.

art,

Bower bird's nests. And - at a deeper level - virtually every
sexually-selected extravagant visual appearance.

water heaters

Termites construct exquisite heating, ventilating and humidity-control
systems for their nests of far greater complexity and sophistication
than any human building-services engineer can manage.

computers,

Err - brains?

radio

Almost every animal broadcasts to others in some way or other. Try
whale song for seriously long range...

Google

Back to brains again - this isn't an authoritative example, but I'd be
prepared to wager that some parts of many animals'
information-organizing systems (including our own) work pretty much like
the PageRank algorithm.

Best wishes

Adrian

Dr Adrian Bowyer