RE: [rp-ml] RE: Image to 3D

From: lloyd <lloyd_at_grosbard.com>
Date: Thu Jan 21 2010 - 16:42:27 EET

Hi Jason,

There was at one time software that could interpolate a 3d mesh based
multiple on pictures of the same subject from different angles. The subject
has to be perfectly and consistently lit such that the resulting grayscale
images could be analyzed and a "guessing type algorithm" would try to
recreate the subject in 3d. As laser scanning became cost effective this
methodology which did not work well anyway was (I believe) abandoned.

I do not know if such a device exists but a handheld miniature laser scanner
(picture a barcode scanning wand) could do this medical job for a variety of
applications. The software would have to precisely determine the position
and orientation of the wand in physical space relative to the subject, it
could then from the scan data develop a scale model in real time such that
the user could actually see if sufficient data had been gathered to
accurately model the subject. If not more data could be gathered through
multiple passes until the scan was sufficiently accurate.

Does this device already exist?

Lloyd

www.lloydpdesign.com

  _____