RE: [rp-ml] Solido Rumor

From: Hauser, Carl <C.Hauser_at_liverpool.ac.uk>
Date: Mon Feb 08 2010 - 15:50:21 EET

List,

" The full Value Pack, which includes the printer, 8 (XY) cuttings knives, 4 magnetic pads, 24 modelling kits (modeling material, glue cartridge and anti-glue cassette) "

It does not really sound like a 3D printer in the 'traditional' sense, more like an automated 'arts and crafts' set in a convenient box. With the current ASTM committee making waves on AM definitions should we not stop calling machines like this '3D Printers'. Call me old fashioned but I think of a 3D printer as some XYZ positioning systems holding inkjet print heads to deposit binder, UV cure or self curing inks. I find this confusing at the best of times when desktop or office friendly AM systems are labelled as 3D printers irrespective of their hardware makeup. Am i the only one on list who thinks like this?

Best Regards

Carl