Re: [rp-ml] Suppliers of prototype aluminum castings

From: Andrew Werby <awerby_at_computersculpture.com>
Date: Sun Jun 13 2010 - 23:52:29 EEST

Generally, aluminum molds are milled from billet, not cast. The
surfaces come out cleaner, and you don't get the distortions,
shrinkage, and other artifacts that would be inevitable when
casting from an RP part. If you have the original data, a
mold-oriented CNC shop should be able to cut a mold from that,
without any need for the RP part (except perhaps as a reference.)

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com