Re: [rp-ml] Sorry if I have (occasionally) offended some people out there (its happened to me lots of times).

From: Brock Hinzmann <bhinzmann_at_sbi-i.com>
Date: Mon Sep 13 2010 - 23:39:45 EEST

I tried writing a piece on RP and art back in the early 1990s and I
never published it, because of the lack of agreement in the feedback,
although I did once write something for a (early RP artist) Michael Rees
brochure that may still be out there somewhere. I've always found it
interesting that artists often call their works "experiments" (as in
"Experiment in White on White No. 9"), while scientists often discuss
their experiments in terms of the "state of the art." Some artists are
very purposeful and tell me it's art if the person that makes it says it
is and anyone who calls themselves an artist is one. And some artists
probably don't even think of themselves as artists so much as a person
following a muse in their head to bring forth a mind-body experience of
one sort or another. The art can grate on the senses, it can lack craft
or skill, and it can be highly offensive to some beholders, but it is
done for a reason that is art. Making an exact duplicate probably is
not. The great thing about RP is the ability to experiment. I try not to
be too judgmental these days about artists or art critics. However, I
prefer critics (of paintings, of sculpture, of movies, of music
concerts) who can clearly state their own biases and assumptions, which
I can compare against my own biases and assumptions about art. I like
what I like.

Brock Hinzmann
Technology Navigator