[rp-ml] Using Kindle for Reviewing RP Patents

From: Chathamres <chathamres_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu Jan 20 2011 - 17:51:04 EET

 Several years ago, we offered a service to the RP community to provide RP patents in a PDF format. We dropped this service when GOOGLE began to offer Google Patents. The advantage of the Google service over the US Patent Office is that you can retrieve the patents in a PDF format rather than a TIF image format. I was told that the Patent Office decided to use an image format rather than PDF, because they would not have to pay Adobe a license fee to create the PDF versions (talk about penny wise and pound foolish!!).

We have used the Google Patents for several years and found it to be satisfactory. However, recently we have made an improvement in the process by storing the PDF patents of interest and transmitting them to our Kindle email account. The speed to transmit to a Kindle is much faster than the time to print hard copy, but the resulting print quality is very good. You can read these documents at your leisure without having to carry thousands of pages of printed copy. This is also helping us in our effort to Go Green!

If you try this approach to reviewing patents, let us know how you like it.

Al