Re: [rp-ml] Lithophane Software?

From: Delft Spline Systems <info_at_spline.nl>
Date: Mon May 09 2011 - 09:34:23 EEST

Hi Chuck,

Lithophanes are amazing - we have creating a few of such artworks by CNC
machining, using the DeskProto 3D CAM software. See the tutorial videos
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXBWyexaMK4&hl (flat lithophane)
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM1YN_i69I8&hl (pipe lithophane)

DeskProto includes the functionality to import a bitmap file (any 2D image)
and do a greyscale-to-Z-height conversion to make it a 3D relief. This 3D
relief then can be exported as an STL file (Create > Extra > Export Z-grid
as STL).
The resulting STL file will not be a watertight solid though as for CNC
machining that is not needed.
You can try if it will work for you using the free trial version (30 days).

For more information see
www.deskproto.com/support/videos-lithophanes.htm

Best Regards,

Lex Lennings.