[rp-ml] Re: Zcorp & the future of innovation

From: Bathsheba <b_at_bathsheba.com>
Date: Wed Nov 23 2011 - 09:47:37 EET

On 11/22/2011 5:01 PM, Marshall Burns wrote:
> Adrian, this is an important point. In this regard, have you followed the
> outcome of the lawsuits against individuals who downloaded copyrighted
music
> and/or videos? If so, can you (or someone here) give us a brief review, or
> link to a useful article on the subject?

I can't do any of those things, but what I can report from the ground is
that there has been no chilling effect. I've heard a lot of stolen
music; I haven't heard anyone say they stopped stealing it because of
these lawsuits, or for any other reason.

I agree with Dr. Bowyer that this type of enforcement as it's now
practiced has no effect, except to blacken the names of those applying
it. I also agree that this is the type of enforcement that applies as
long as RepRap et al stay close to the grass roots. It's not worthwhile
trying to patent-troll an individual without significant assets.

Of course, there's a limit to how out you can break while staying low.
Danger comes first to the clearinghouses -- data exchanges and parts
sources -- and Napster's head is still dangling from the battlements to
prove it.

It's hard to believe things can go on like this indefinitely.
Unnecessary middlemen _are_ unnecessary, and patent trolls _are_ filthy
scammers, and while the government can protect business models that are
obsolete and/or extortionate for a long time, if we believed it would be
forever, there would be no innovation but what comes out of Microsoft's
bowels. That would be a dull planet, so I'm grateful we don't live there.

-Bathsheba

--
Bathsheba Grossman                            Bathsheba Sculpture LLC
Sculpting Geometry                               http://bathsheba.com