RE: [rp-ml] Z-corp, "open-sourcing" & "crowd-sourcing"

From: Jeremy Pullin <Jeremy.Pullin_at_Renishaw.com>
Date: Thu Nov 24 2011 - 13:20:01 EET

I'm not as familiar with patent laws in the US as I am with those in the
UK and Europe but the idea of but the theory of BP and others
stockpiling crowd sourced ideas for their own evil ends sounds a little
conspiracy theorist to me. The problem with attempting to farm IP in
this way lies in 'Prior art'. Prior art which also known as 'state of
the art' or 'background art' refers to any information which has been
made available to the public before a date that could be relevant to a
patent's claims of originality. Basically, if an invention has been
described in prior art, a patent on that invention is not valid. To
establish the validity of a patent application, the patent offices
explore the prior art that existed before the invention occurred (in the
US) or before the application was filed (in the rest of the world).
Obviously there is no way that BP could track down the hundreds of
thousands of people that submitted ideas and sign them all up non
disclosure agreements. If the ideas were submitted onto discussion
forums and publicly accessible web portals at the time then that
constitutes prior art and even if BP restricted access to them after the
oil spill had been dealt with, there is still no way that any patents
they attempted to file would be valid. If BP (or others) were to be
awarded a patent due to no prior art showing up on the initial 'Novelty
search' the awarded patent could still then be ruled invalid if prior
art was found during a subsequent 'validity search'.

For the reasons above the scenario described where open source and crowd
sourced 'free offerings get co-oped by large commercial interests,
which can then go on to acquire patents on things they didn't even
invent and then completely control them' cannot happen. Once something
has gone 'open source' such as RepRap or Arduino it cannot be seized
upon by anyone and retrospectively patented. Even if it is then the
patent can be retrospectively ruled as being invalid. Not even Adrian
Bowyer could get a valid patent on the RepRap now even though he is
widely and rightly recognized as the father of the platform. I hope that
puts your mind at rest a bit about open source.

Regards

Jeremy.