Re: [rp-ml] Fwd: Question on Casting Thin Lead Wall

From: Andrew Werby <awerby_at_computersculpture.com>
Date: Tue Jan 24 2012 - 20:47:23 EET

Hi Alan;

It doesn't sound like you've worked with lead before. If you did manage
to cast it that thin, there's no way it would survive rough handling.
Lead is extremely soft, and there's no way to harden it. Think of a
one-inch cylinder made out of aluminum foil - how much rough handling do
you think it would take? Does it have to be lead? A zinc alloy like
Zamak would be a more likely candidate, if this part going to be
stressed in any way.

Andrew Werby
www.computersculpture.com