Re: [rp-ml] Fwd: Question on Casting Thin Lead Wall

From: Olaf Diegel <olaf.diegel_at_aut.ac.nz>
Date: Tue Jan 24 2012 - 20:53:44 EET

Hi Alan,
I havent cast in lead, but your wall thickness, at around 2.5mm ) would certainly be relatively standard for aluminium casting and, for that, you could just cast normally. You could even print the mold on a z-corp machine and cast into that.
I suspect that your bigger problem will be the solid 25mm hemisphere which will probably have a quite a bit of sinking on it as the lead cools, and could cause distortion on your thin wall.
Cheers
Olaf