Re: [rp-ml] Comparison of ABS parts from Stratasys and Others

From: Michael Armbruster <michaelarmbruster_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 13:44:30 -0700

The only machines that are over $100k are the Fortus systems, which offer
much larger build envelopes and much better mechanical properties than even
the Dimensions or uPrints that Stratasys makes. Things like tensile and
impact strength are the result of so much more than the filament itself.
There are different ABS materials even within Stratasys, some of which
Stratasys says are 40% stronger than their other ABS materials (again, all
within Stratasys itself). Also, the machines that are over $100k can do
materials like PC. Furthermore, they make support structures (which
dissolve away later) that allow for overhangs and essentially any geometry.
Trust me, people who spend $100k on a Fortus aren't slapping themselves for
not simply building their own RepRap. I talk about more of this stuff in
the video halfway down the page
here<http://www.incept3d.com/abs-plastic--fdm.html>
.

Any test on the comparison between the two would be very difficult because
it all comes down to what you're printing. A RepRap probably can make a
solid cube that's very similar in strength to what a $100k+ Fortus would
do, and it's also extremely good at making crude looking Yoda heads.

- Michael