RE: [rp-ml] 3D Printing Article in Stars & Stripes

From: Jeremy Pullin <Jeremy.Pullin_at_Renishaw.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2013 10:27:09 +0000

I must confess to having a problem with any article or indeed presentation that uses the phrase "the possibilities are limited only by imagination". That just puts a big dent in the credibility of what is being said in my opinion.

The article talks about ready to fly drones being in development but later says that the 3D printed drones exclude the electronics and motors................................so not ready to fly at all then.

The best thing about the article was that It highlighted the role played by 3D printing in prototyping. Now I know that it's not fashionable to mention the 'P' word any more but the truth is that prototyping remains an excellent fit for 3D printing / AM. It was also good to see an organisation actively examining the technology for such a diverse range of applications from replacement parts to implant and prosthetics.

One of the other things I liked about it was that it spoke about things such as transplantable organs being 'in development'. Is it just me (seriously tell me) or is anybody else fed up with ill informed commentators and blog writers saying things like "they can 3D print replacement human organs"? For a start, who the hell are they? Is it some ill informed journalist at the Economist who is taking a break from exposing how much bonuses bankers earn, to do a piece on that new 3D printing technology stuff that is launching the 5th industrial revolution? Or are they just people who heard somebody say something at a TED talk and thought they must be telling the truth because they are up on the stage where all the clever people talk.

Jez Pullin.