Re: Avi Reichental of 3D Systems on CNBC

From: Have Blue <haveblue_at_airsoldier.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:33:52 -0500

Nobody is refilling Cube cartridges that I know of. I believe the Cube
cartridges use a DS2432 (or equivalent) SHA-1 protected serial EEPROM,
just like the Stratasys uPrint machines. Without knowledge of the
secret (and being able to generate a message authentication code based
on that secret), you can't write back to the EEPROM. You can do a total
wipe of the EEPROM and change the secret, but it's not going to be of
any use in the Cube at that point.

However, you can still use third party filament on the Cube by telling
it to print anyhow, even when it says that the cartridge is out:
http://hackaday.com/2013/04/26/cube-3d-printer-hack-lets-you-use-bulk-filament/

I'm interested in finding out exactly what resin 3DS uses for the Cube -
is it the Dow AG700 or SABIC MG94 that Stratasys sells as 'ABS' and
'ABS+' respectively, is it the Chi Mei PA-747 that Makerbots and the
vast majority of hobbyist printers use, or is it something else entirely?

- Michael
haveblue.org