RE: Re: Who coined the term "3D printing"?

From: Marshall Burns <ListMail2_at_fabbers.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 08:19:47 -0800

Jim, you wrote,

> But the term "3D Printing" appears to have come from Terry Wohlers in 1988 even though he was describing 2.5D printing in those days.

                The second part of that sentence, that he was describing 2.5-d printing, is not true. His article was about 3D Systems’ Stereolithography Apparatus (SLA). The model photographs in the article do have a 2.5-d sense to them (no overhangs), but that was because utilization of the technology was in its infancy, not because of inherent limitations in the technology itself. Terry talked a good deal in the article about the use of support structures, which in time would allow utilization to mature to fabrication of fully 3-d objects.