Re: Re: Who coined the term "3D printing"?

From: Jim McMahon <jim_at_layergrownmodel.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 10:08:03 -0500

Bathsheba's thoughts on Chuck Hulls favored choice of verb "form" in his
patent is suggestive to the idea that growing a model from a UV cured resin
with a laser over a moving Z table is more like growing a model in a
continuous process and not printing it.
Patents are written specifically to describe ownership rights to an idea.
If printing was intended, it would have been written. Forming a 3D object
is a valid idea. It may have been the better choice. Looking at other 3D
technologies, many are forming 3D objects. The fastest machines are truly
continuous form makers. Is the term, 3D Printing securely established in
our culture? Is there room for 3D Forming?
Forming Manufacturing process? Continuous Form Manufacturing. I kind of
like this description for a new technology.