Re: Re: Re: Who coined the term "3D printing"?

From: Bathsheba <b_at_bathsheba.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 14:52:39 -0500

On 2/16/2017 10:08 AM, Jim McMahon wrote:
> Patents are written specifically to describe ownership rights to an
> idea. If printing was intended, it would have been written. Forming a 3D
> object is a valid idea. It may have been the better choice. Looking at
> other 3D technologies, many are forming 3D objects. The fastest machines
> are truly continuous form makers. Is the term, 3D Printing securely
> established in our culture? Is there room for 3D Forming?
> Forming Manufacturing process? Continuous Form Manufacturing. I kind
> of like this description for a new technology.Â

I agree it might have been better, but now the technology is no longer
new. That ship has sailed.

At the time I fought for 3DP because it was the best sell to laypeople:
if you were explaining it over a drink, everyone could understand that a
2D printer prints a picture whereas a 3D printer prints an object. No
other name under consideration got the job done.

Then also, "form" is better than "print" as the verb, but what would the
noun be? "3D former" is redundant and "former" already means something
else. It's insoluble. Of course "print" has the reverse problem -- the
verb is ambiguous but the noun is perfect -- but here we are, and I
think we'll have to be content.

Form does keep cropping up in brand names, and maybe that's a good place
for it.

-Bathsheba
--
Bathsheba Grossman                           Bathsheba Sculpture LLC
http://bathsheba.com                         Free Forms