Re: Sculpture via Rapid Prototyping

From: Yakov Horenstein (
Date: Wed Oct 23 1996 - 18:14:45 EEST

At 8:20 PM 7/6/96, Michael Rees wrote:
>Dear RP-ML
>Another implementation of Rapid Prototyping:
>I hope it will be of interest for you to learn that I've produced an
>edition of 6 sculptures via Stereolithography. The sculpture is entitled
>"Aqualine Creature" and has top and bottom shell complimented by
>internal organs which are both literal and metaphorical. It is somewhat
>reminiscent of the science study model "The Visible Man" though it looks
>nothing like a man. The sculpture has a surrealist flavor and is a
>continuation of a body of work that I've been doing over a period of 6
> Rapid prototyping and 3D modelling software have become poweful tools
>in the creation and conceptualization of my work. Since becoming deeply
>involved with CAD, my sculpture practice is 75% digital. The other 25%
>is made up of molding and urethane iterations and display constructions.
>I am not interested in making "virtual sculptures" but am rather totally
>content to use rapid prototyping to create the precise armature which
>can then be manipulated via conventional means.
>The sculptures were made in collaboration with Kelly Hand and Allen
>Nakasoto of Satelite modes in Mountain View, California.
>If you are interested to learn more don't hesitate to contact me.
>Digital images of the cad model of the sculpture are available for
>viewing in your preferred format.
>Michael Rees
> (thats zero zero not oh oh)

I'd like to publish the above note in my RP column for a local trade mag.
Do you agree? If so please send me some images to accompany the text (any
format will do, though the mag is published on Macs).


Yakov Horenstein Tel: +39 2 65 35 12
Milano, Italy Fax: +39 2 2900 6208

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jun 05 2001 - 22:37:39 EEST