measuring surface rougness

From: smit, a. de (
Date: Thu Jun 04 1998 - 16:29:56 EEST

Dear Gautham Kattethota, Al Hastbacka or any other who might know,

about a month ago I read some mails on the topic of surface roughness.
I am looking for equipment to measure surface rougness on plasic-foams.
(polystyrene, XPS)
typical values are 10 micro-meters RA and 70 micro-meters Rmax.
(1 micro-meter = 40 micro inch I think)
Does any of you know of a device capable of measuring these types of
It should preferably be a hand held device and also preferably use a non
contact principle for measuring (optical?)
I would like to have brand names and names of manufacturers or

thanks in advance

Bram de Smit
Delft University of Technology
Faculty of Design, Engineering and Production (DEP)
Jaffalaan 9, NL-2628 BX  Delft, The Netherlands
Phone  +31 15 2783788      Fax  +31 15 2787316
E-mail  A.deSmit@IO.TUDelft.NL

For more information about the rp-ml, see

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jun 05 2001 - 22:45:50 EEST