Re: Flexible RP materials

From: Todd Grimm (
Date: Wed Aug 05 1998 - 20:48:22 EEST


As you have seen from previous responses, there are a number of solutions to the
development of a flexible component. To identify the proper solution, you will
need to clarify what flexible implies. Most importantly, is it a rigid plastic
component that has some give (like styrene, polyethylene or polypropylene)? Or,
is it a rubber-like part that would be produced in a thermoplastic elastomer?

If you are looking for rigidity with some flexibility, SLA, SLS and FDM have

If you desire the rubber-like property, you will need to look at DTM's SLS
process. The Somos 201 material will provide this desired property. In
addition, you can consider DuraDye(tm), a proprietary process from my
organization, that has worked very well on rubber-like applications.

I hope this helps to clarify this information that has been previously provided.

Joe Frantz wrote:

> Dear List:
> We are working on a medical device that requires a flexible strap component.
> What flexible RP materials are currently available?
> What durometers are the materials?
> Does anyone have a build scheduled in the next week?
> Thank you for your help.
> Joe
> *****************************
> Rapid Tooling & Injection Molding
> Mini-Jector Molding Machines
> 45 Pleasant Drive
> Chagrin Falls, Ohio
> 44022-3025
> Telephone: (440) 247-2960
> Facsimile: (440) 247-2294
> E-mail:
> For more information about the rp-ml, see

Todd A. Grimm
Director of Marketing
Accelerated Technologies Inc.
Phone: 606-334-3875
Fax: 606-586-0404

For more information about the rp-ml, see

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Tue Jun 05 2001 - 22:46:24 EEST