Re: Another question

From: Greg Pettengill (
Date: Wed Apr 11 2001 - 18:11:36 EEST

I would suggest that you machine the rigid part out of the ABS and then use it as a Blank in a RTV Rubber Mold. A Urethane Elastomer about Shore A 30 would give you a firm rubbery consistency. Make your mold out of RTV silicone rubber.

Best Regards
Greg Pettengill
Cote' Art & Engineering

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Gibson" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2001 7:01 PM
Subject: Another question

> Dear rp-ml
> I have a contact who wants to coat plastic parts with a 'rubber-like'
> material. The requirements are similar to the elastomeric materials used
> for toothbrush handles and on pen barrels.
> As I understand it, this is normally achieved using removable insert
> injection moulding, which is costly and we don't want to go this route
> without knowing that it works first.
> Is there a way to prototype this effect by spray coating an elastomeric
> compound on to a plastic part?
> IG
> Dr. Ian Gibson
> Associate Professor
> Dept. Mechanical Engineering
> The University of Hong Kong
> tel: +852 28597901
> fax: +852 28585415
> email:
> Don't look around to find the sound that's right beneath your feet.
> For more information about the rp-ml, see

For more information about the rp-ml, see

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.2 : Fri Jan 04 2002 - 09:57:05 EET