The 3rd Annual Gwaltney Manufacturing Symposium -- A Conference on RPM, October 1-3 at Georgia Tech in Atlanta

From: Tom Graver (Tom.Graver@marc.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 04 1996 - 15:42:05 EEST

RPers,

Due to strong feedback from attendees of last year's sold-out program,
Georgia Tech's Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing Institute is again
offering its annual symposium on RPM. We've designed the program to improve
on last year's success -- not just repeat it. The value of this program
will again ride on the strength of the speakers and exhibitors. Take a look
at the list below. I'm sure you'll agree it's a powerful line-up.

In last year's feedback, attendees asked for three things: 1) more
speakers, 2)
more time to review vendors' exhibits, and 3) NO increase in the number of
symposium attendees. Done. We've added one more day of presentations and
exhibitions, we've added nine more speakers to deliver a total of 24 new
presentations, at least eight more vendors will joint the exhibition, and
we'll meet in the same comfortable facility as last year where we could all
be seen and heard.

The symposium and exhibition will run on October 1-3, and on September 30
we're offering a special primer to better prepare those who are new to RPM.
All of the details follow...

If you have questions or would like a brochure, you can reach me at
404-894-5676 or by e-mail. I hope to see you at the symposium this year.

Best regards,
Tom Graver

*********

Rapid Prototyping for Product Development, Design, and Tooling:
Making the New Technologies Pay Off for You

The 3rd Annual Eugene C. Gwaltney Manufacturing Symposium

October 1-3, 1996 Atlanta, Georgia
Georgia Institute of Technology

Comments from last year...

"The depth and breadth of the technical program satisfied the
 needs of everyone I talked with... I'd be surprised if most don't return
next year."
Terry Wohlers, Wohlers Associates

"Of the five exhibitions we've attended, Georgia Tech's was by far the most
productive for us!"
Morris Johnson, UCB Chemical

"A high quality conference... well worth attending."
Larry Burkholder, Deere & Company

About the Program
                The symposium's first day will explore the breadth of RPM
applications and will open your eyes to possibilities that address your
specific needs. Day two will go deep into the subject of rapid
tooling-getting "real" parts fast. Day three will highlight users'
experiences with the core technologies, i.e., which processes work better
for which applications.

The Exhibition
        The 24 speakers will be supported by more than 20 exhibits of RPM
technologies and applications. You will have ample opportunities for
hands-on learning and for in-depth discussions with industry experts. Here's
who plans to exhibit this year on October 2 and 3.

Aaroflex, Inc.
Applied Software
Baxter Healthcare
BPM Technology
Cemcom Corporation
Ciba-Geigy
Clinkenbeard and Associates
Compression, Inc.
DTM Corporation
Durden Enterprises
Fastec/Cyberform
Helisys, Inc
Laser Prototypes, Inc.
Metalcast Engineering
Morris Technologies
Parametrics
Plynetics/Prototype Express
PTE Distribution
Sanders Prototype
Stratasys, Inc.
3D Systems
UCB Chemicals

Who should attend?
        The symposium is intended for those who want to learn more about
RPM, and will benefit both novices and experts. Individuals involved in
product development, design, testing, manufacturing and marketing will
certainly benefit. The program is designed for both technical and
management professionals.

Be ready to participate!
          Last year we sold out early, but we will again limit attendance
to 110 people. This will encourage high quality communication between
presenters and attendees. Presenters will allow a generous amount of time
to answer your questions and to lead group discussions. The
well-designed, comfortable auditorium will allow all to be heard.

What did last year's attendees think?
        Forty attendees returned feedback forms last year, and they all
said that they'd recommend Georgia Tech's Gwaltney Symposium to their
colleagues! We're pleased that we were able to deliver what they were
after.
        Many asked for more speakers and for more time with the exhibitors.
So, this year we'll deliver nine more speakers, several more exhibitors,
and an extra day of exhibit time.

Engaging Industry
                To promote the development and deployment of RPM, Georgia
Tech has
established the Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing Institute. In the
RPMI, industry, government and academia are cooperating to tackle new
applications of RPM technologies that more directly meet the needs of
designers and manufacturers. Project teams include students and faculty
and are often conceived and lead by an industry sponsor. Facilities
include SLA, CNC, CMM, a foundry, injection molding capabilities, and more.
Member companies include: The Coca-Cola Company, Compression, Inc., Durden
Enterprises, Eastman Kodak, Motorola, Siemens, 3D Systems and UCB Chemical.

Symposium Outline
                The Breadth of RP Applications
                Tuesday, October 1, 1996

8:00 a.m. Registration & Continental Breakfast

8:40 a.m. "Welcome" John Jarvis, Georgia Tech

9:00 a.m. Keynote Address: "The Impact of Digital Data
                on Product Development"
                Mike McEnvoy, Baxter Healthcare

9:40 a.m. "RPM: So Much is Available to You!"
                Frost Prioleau, Plynetics

10:20 a.m. Break

10:40 a.m. "An Enterprise Approach to Integrated Product and Process
Development"
                Richard Gee, Sunstrand Aerospace

11:20 a.m. "RP in the Design Process"
                Todd Ray, Compression, Inc.

12:00 p.m. Lunch - MARC Atrium and RPMI Lab Open

1:00 p.m. "James Bond Stuff"
                Kevin Ayers, FBI

1:40 p.m. "Rapid Prototyping and Rapid Tooling for
                Cast Components"
                Ron Gustafson, Clinkenbeard and Associates

2:20 p.m. Break

2:40 p.m. "Changing Peoples' Lives with RPM"
                Steve Schmidt, Wilford Hall Medical Center, USAF

3:20 p.m. "RPM for Medical Applications-They're a lot
                like Manufacturing Applications"
                David Crook, Cyberform

4:00 p.m. "A History of 3D Radilogical Imaging and
                Modeling in the Head and Neck"
                Richard A. Levy, University of Michigan
                Medical Center

4:40 p.m. Adjourn

                Tooling Fast!
                Wednesday, October 2, 1996

8:00 a.m. Exhibits Open & Continental Breakfast

8:40 a.m. "Tooling by 3-D Printing"
                Ely Sachs, MIT

9:20 a.m. "An Overview of Methods to Create Injection
                Mold Tooling Using Rapid Prototyping"
                Tom Mueller, Prototype Express

10:00 a.m. Break & Exhibits Open

10:40 a.m. "Steel, Aluminum, and Epoxy Tools"
                Gary Beldue, Eastman Kodak

11:20 a.m. "Material -Correct Prototypes"
                Steve Deak, Hasbro

12:00 p.m. Lunch - In the Garden, Exhibits Open

1:20 p.m. "The Rapid Tool Process"
                Tim Gornet, University of Louisville

2:00 p.m. "Cast Tools for Injection Molding"
                Randy Erickson, Metalcast Engineering

2:40 p.m. Break & Exhibits Open

3:20 p.m. "Recent Developments in Rapid Tooling"
                Georgia Tech & RPMI Member Companies

4:00 p.m. "Several Choices for Soft Tools:
                A Live Demonstration"
                Derek Ellis, PTE Distribution

5:00 p.m. Reception and Exhibits Open (until 7:30)

                Which Process for Which Application?
                Thursday, October 3, 1996

8:00 a.m. Exhibits Open & Continental Breakfast

8:40 a.m. "Sandia's Work in RPM and LENS Process"
                Clint Atwood, Sandia National Labs

9:20 a.m. "A User's Perspective of the Sanders Process"
                Rob Connelly, Becton Dickinson

10:00 a.m. Break & Exhibits Open

10:40 a.m. "Leveraging CNC & FFF for Optimal
                Product Prototyping"
                Derek Smith, Motorola

11:20 a.m. "SLA and SLS: Different Technologies for
                Different Applications"
                Todd Grimm & James Rollins, ATI

12:00 p.m. Lunch - In the Garden, Exhibits Open

1:20 p.m. "FDM and LOM"
                Terry Johnson, Chrysler

2:00 p.m. "New Developments in RPM"
                Bill Durden, Durden Enterprises

2:40 p.m. "What Does This All Mean for You?"
                Steve Ettelson, Brookfield Rapid Solutions

3:20 p.m. Adjourn

Getting Off to a Strong Start -- An Optional Primer
                From 1 to 5 p.m. on the afternoon prior to the Symposium
(Monday, September 30) we will offer an optional primer on RPM. This is a
perfect opportunity
for those who are just now becoming familiar with RPM technologies - and
will help prepare them for the coming three days of more detailed
presentations and exhibits.

        Tom Mueller, from Plynetics/Prototype Express, will lead the group
through a comprehensive overview of the key technologies and some specific
case studies. The course materials are maintained by the Rapid Prototyping
Association of SME, and are always of high quality and are quite complete
and up-to-date. This half-day course is open to everyone, whether or not
they choose to attend the three-day symposium.

                You Should Attend the Primer to:
I Identify the different processes used to develop
        rapid prototypes
l Find out who are the manufacturers of each
        process
l Clarify what materials are used to develop
        prototypes
l Find out what kind of computer-aided design is
        required to use prototyping
l Learn how to cost justify rapid prototyping in your
        company
l Zero-in on case study applications
l Identify how rapid prototyping can integrate and
        compliment your existing prototype shop
l Find out what the future is for rapid prototyping
l Learn what you need to know about outsourcing
        your prototypes
l See how CAD data is represented and translated to
        rapid prototyping systems
l Inspect finished parts from each process

(The agendas are tentative and are subject to change.)

Registration
                CALL (404) 894-2400 between 9:00 a.m. & 4:00 p.m., Eastern
Time. If you
intend to register by telephone, have your credit card number and key code
ready. (KEY CODE: B)

Fees
                The program fee of $645 includes both the symposium and the
exhibition
(Oct. 1-3), the symposium proceedings, as well as the meals and reception
listed in the agenda.

The optional Primer fee is $150 and includes the half-day program (Sept.
30), a complete set of handouts and study materials.

Due to enrollment limits, you are encouraged to register early to ensure
your place in this program. After you register, your confirmation letter
will be faxed to you within one business day and a confirmation packet will
be mailed to you within five business days.

You may make substitutions for registered participants or transfer to
another program at any time. In the event of program cancellation, you will
be refunded the program fee in full. Georgia Tech cannot assume the
responsibility for other costs incurred.

Symposium Location and Accommodations
                The symposium, exhibition, and optional primer will be held
at the
Manufacturing Research Center on the Georgia Tech campus.
A limited number of rooms has been reserved at the Wyndham Midtown
Atlanta Hotel which is located at Peachtree and 10th Streets, Atlanta,
Georgia 30309. For hotel reservations, call (404) 873-4800. Also, a limited
number of rooms has been reserved at the Fairfield Inn which is located
adjacent to the Georgia Tech campus at 1470 Spring St. N.W., Atlanta,
Georgia 30309. For hotel reservations, call 1-800-228-2800 or
(404) 872-5821.
        A shuttle will be provided to take participants from their hotel to
the course in the morning and then return participants to their hotel in
the afternoon. To be assured of the special room rate, mention that you are
attending a Georgia Tech Continuing Education program.

Travel Arrangements
                Delta Air Lines offers special fares to attendees of Georgia
Tech programs.
Certain restrictions may apply. For information and reservations, call
1-800-241-6760 and refer to file U0175 (for domestic flights only).

Continuing Education Units
                Participants who successfully complete this program will
earn continuing
education units (CEUs). Georgia Institute of Technology CEUs may be used as
evidence of professional development and to support job advancement.

What you will take away from the Symposium
* Information that will lead your company to greater profits through RPM
* Working knowledge of the existing commercial processes for RPM-and the
strengths of each
* Insights on the rapidly expanding tooling opportunities
* Understanding the business cases for RPM-how others have analyzed costs
and benefits
* Appreciation for the versatility of RPM-applications from aerospace to
medicine
* Awareness of, and contact with, a growing network of manufacturers who
are using RPM in their operations
* Hands-on experiences with RPM technologies in the exhibition
* Answers to your specific questions about RPM from leading industry experts
* Perspective of where RPM technologies are heading and how they will
affect you in the future

Thomas W. Graver
Director of Operations
Rapid Prototyping and Manufacturing Institute
Georgia Institute of Technology
813 Ferst Drive
Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0406

(404) 894-5676 phone