SL5170 & water

From: Doug Greenwood (greenwod@eng.squared.com)
Date: Thu Jan 23 1997 - 14:43:49 EET

Hello all:

I am interested in other users experiences with immersing SLA prototypes
made from Ciba Geigy SL5170 in water. The goal is to coat the SLA model
with some clear substance in order to do some water flow testing, while
counter-acting the hygroscopic nature of the cured resin. I realize that
this is an unusual application, but for the geometry involved, SLA is
really the only solution.

I have spoken with some users who have coated the SLA model with a
water-proofing material (something like Thompson Water-Seal, which is a
US product) prior to immersion - and this has worked OK. The problem is
that the Thompson's product does not always dry completely, but remains
somewhat tacky.

If there is another product on the market which others have used
successfully, I would appreciate a response. A supplier name and contact
information would be appreciated. Thanks to all.

Doug