Green-body fabrication technique comparison

From: Marshall Burns (marshall@ennex.com)
Date: Tue Nov 11 1997 - 23:21:14 EET

Guy Allen Brady wrote:

> Well, now, this is a nice surprise. I've been working on
> Stereolithography of Ceramics for the past 2+ years. My suspensions are
> 50vol% Alumina in a photocurable resin. There are two others groups (at

Dear Allen and others,

     I wonder if I might ask a question that could spark some interesting
technical debate.

    What are the relative pros and cons of the various techniques for
fabricating green bodies of either ceramics or metals? The techniques that must
be considered include direct fabrication of the green body:
        - Selective photocuring of a photopolymer/powder suspension (SLA)
        - Laser sintering of polymer-coated powders (SLS),
        - Extrusion of a polymer/powder paste (FDM),
        - Lamination of polymer/powder tapes (LOM),
        - and perhaps some other direct techniques.
And one should also include indirect techniques of:
        - Fabricating a mold or master which is used to mold a powder system
(old fashioned P/M as well as Keltool, etc.).

    What do people think about how these various techniques campare?

Best Regards,
Marshall Burns
marshall@ennex.com

***** ENNEX(TM) FABRICATION TECHNOLOGIES