Re: building full scale car body ???

From: cthomas@eng.utah.edu
Date: Fri Jul 02 1999 - 21:42:47 EEST

>In a message dated 7/2/99 6:52:54 AM Central Daylight Time,
>Rallystuff@aol.com writes:
>
><< Hi.....I am interested in building a 1:1 scale car body.
> Its the " missing link " as it was a prototype series of 30 that was
> destroyed in the late 1930s.
> I probably can get the cad file but need more info on how to proceeed.
>
> I was thinking of making a plywood model, sections every foot or so , then
> fill with foam and finish contouring. then fiberglass over the finished plug.
>
> Would love to do the final body in metal , but here in California that would
> be very expensive.
>
> Any suggestions or schools that would like to take on a project like this ?
>
> thanks for your help........Chris >>
>
>Chris:
>If you have the cad files for this car. I would suggest you send it to
>Professor Thomas at I think University of Salt lake city ( I hope I have his
>name right). He is a very nice fellow. He has a huge sla type machine (like
>the world has never seen before) that builds in foam or some other soft bulk
>material in layers similar to an SLA. Your car would be a small job on his
>machines. I dont think it will be very expensive either. Once you are done
>with the design you could use the model as a fiberglass form master to mass
>produce a fiberglass body for your car.
>Good luck
>Bob Morton
>Fusion engineering

Thanks for the plug Bob!

Yes, we build big models directly from STL files. We have built airfoils,
car bodies, patterns for composite fairings, etc. The biggest part so far
was roughly 8 by 10 by 24 ft.

If anybody has questions, I'd be happy to answer em.

Oh, by the way, I've had the strangest urges this morning. Just since I
read my e-mails. I keep thinking how beautiful a Keltool mold would be,
just as a paperweight for my desk.

Regards,

chas.

Charles L. Thomas