Re: G3 and G4

From: Greg Pettengill (greg_p@indirect.com)
Date: Thu Dec 30 1999 - 00:04:16 EET

Hi Jon,
Welcome to the RPML.

Jonathan Chertok wrote:

> An "intro" question for the list.
> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to run rapid prototyping type software
> on the new Macintosh G3 or G4 processors?

Most likely it is possible but not economically practical.

> I am looking to pick up a personal computer to begin very modest work on
> rapid prototyping software such as
> Pro-Engineer
> Materialise
> Paraform
> Deskartes
> etc.

If you can afford this kind of software you should not have to worry to
muchabout the hardware. These do not appear to me as "modest" starting points.

> (SNIP)
> I'd prefer to stick with my beloved MAC if possible and don't need
> industrial size strength for this initial work.

IMHO limiting yourself to the MAC world will stifle your developmentas a
RP'er. Most of the current RP software is most cost effectively run on
Windows platforms.

> If this is not possible, any suggestions for minimum requirements, brand of
> computers, configurations should I decide to go non-MAC for this at home
> use?

I would be happy to talk with you about... Please visit my website and give
me a call.

Best Regards
Greg Pettengill
http://www.indirect.com/www/greg_p/index.html