re[2]: FDM support calibration problems

From: Ron Franklin (rfranklin@fh-co.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 15:58:50 EET

   I find the manual calibration box figures for thickness of the support material to be off by several thousandths for our FDM 2000 machine. We usually end up with somewhere around .007-.008 or even less to give good separation of support material. The calibration box test is only a starting point for us. I use a 1" test square with a base and only a few model layers to give a quick read on the results of the tip offset fiddling for support separation. I have a feeling that each machine may be slightly different and you have to get to know it personally.
We have also found that changing the parameters of the support face layer raster to a finer road width helps this, and gives a better finish on the part face.

Ron Franklin