Re: Low Cost Reverse Engineering

From: Greg Pettengill (gpetteng@bellsouth.net)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 18:09:23 EEST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Unwin" <imunwin@hotmail.com>
To: <rp-ml@rapid.lpt.fi>
Sent: Friday, June 13, 2003 7:49 AM
Subject: Low Cost Reverse Engineering

(snip)
> I was maybe thinking about using Rhino3D (as it states that it can import
> point data - probably small data sets only) for surfacing and Soldiworks
for
> solid modelling - any comments?

Ian -- I believe without a doubt that Rhino is the best low-cost
alternative for RE applications. With all the plug-ins that are now
available
(http://www2.rhino3d.com/resources/default.asp?category=13&language=) I am
sure that you'll find cost effective ways to deal with even your most
demanding work. As it appears to me, the question of practical size of data
sets is more of an issue of hardware and not of software. In other words,
the bigger the data set you need to manipulate the more powerful the machine
has to be.

> Also any views on low cost data capture devices (inc. used equip) -
accurate
> enough for general RE of mechanical / consumer type components - would
need
> to be portable.

I have seen MicroScribes (http://www.immersion.com/products/3d/) go for
circa $1500 on eBay! Also, the LPX-250 from Roland might be able to give
you a lot of bang for your buck...

Best Regards
Greg Pettengill
Cote' Art & Engineering