Re: [rp-ml] free STL Files and other things we wish for in the new year

From: Stewart Dickson <MathArt_at_Emsh.CalArts.edu>
Date: Tue Jan 05 2010 - 00:40:48 EET

Good-looking, easy to use & affordable Stereo-Viewing standards &
accessories for TV and computers -- It would be a drop-kick to put a
second camera into a cameraphone. The Stereo end-Viewer is the critical
part for success, in my opinion. Maybe slightly more tricky to control
is inter-ocular 3D scene view convergence in a camera-phone. Digital
cameras are tending toward "pinhole" cameras with "infinite" focus-depth
and hence no focus-plane. 3D geometry from-Stereo is yet a bit less
robust. Google "Street-View" is what we used to call QuickTime-VR and
has been used as a basis for the design of some computer games
("Zork-II: Nemesis" -- I worked on it.) It requires a motorized camera
tripod rotator head synchronized over an interface to the camera frame
control. How far are we from LIDAR in a camera-phone? Is a DVD-RW
laser big enough for LIDAR?

Honestly, retail companies like Looxis will build glass blocks from 3D
data files you supply. Why not set up a custom portrait-sculpture
franchise in tandem with a company like Looxis? Minolta makes 3D
scanners. They only need to evolve to the
Digital-SLR camera scale before you have a lot of consumer-created 3D
input content looking for the output medium.

--Stewart Dickson (c) 2010 (Some rights reserved)