Re: Why so few people are responding to the list

From: Seppo Niemi <seppo.niemi_at_risukulma.fi>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 00:03:43 +0300

Marshall Burns writes:

> To Seppo: I know you've been having technical problems with the list
> software, and I don't know if you're aware of this problem and if it's
> related to the others. In either case, I hope you can fix it because it
> may be that the list would be more alive if messages from the list were
> configured so that replies go easily to the whole list, not just to the
> sender.
>

> To other list participants, until this problem gets fixed, if you reply
> to a post and you want your reply to go to the list, please remember to
> add the list address (rp-ml_at_rp-ml.org) as a recipient.

I was aware of this "feature". I had to change the behaviour of the
list so that each mail seems to be sent to each subscriber
personally. Before I did that, a huge number of posts got marked as
spam, because some mailers didn't like the list address as the sender
or receiver address.

We can't go back to the old ways, because then we would again be faced
with the spam-trap problem. One option is to include a specific
reply-to header to each post. I'll have to see if that can be
done. Watch this space!

And another problem with the list currently is that posts from some
people get stalled and require moderator approval, even though they
shouldn't. So, if your posts generate a bounce message saying that it
needs moderator approval, don't worry. Fixing this one will require
re-building the address database manually and right now I don't have
the time for such an operation.

-Seppo