Investment Casting of Silicone Rubber

From: MR ALBIN A HASTBACKA (KHVD07A@prodigy.com)
Date: Thu Nov 30 1995 - 17:37:35 EET

-- [ From: Al Hastbacka * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

Has anyone on this list ever tried to use investment casting techniques
to make silicone rubber models. What I have in mind is the idea of
making a ceramic mold as you would if you were investment casting
metal. The ceramic mold would then be autoclaved to melt out the
master pattern. Then, instead of pouring a metal into the mold,
silicone rubber would be poured into the ceramic mold. Once the
silicone rubber has set up, the rubber model would be removed by
breaking away the ceramic.

If you have any experience with a process similar to this, I would
appreciate feedback.

Regards,
Al Hastbacka