Survey results

From: Terry T. Wohlers (twohlers@CompuServe.COM)
Date: Sun May 18 1997 - 18:19:50 EEST

Prior to the RP&M '97 conference in Dearborn, I posted the following 2-part
survey. I appreciate the responses from many of you. As promised, I am
sharing the results which are based on data provided by 19 companies (7 RP
system manufacturers and 12 RP service organizations). I hope you find the
information useful.

INDUSTRIES BEING SERVED. Please group your customers into the following
categories by providing a percentage estimate for each. Please do not
create new categories.

(a) motor vehicles: 21.8%
(b) aerospace: 6.9%
(c) business machines: 13.9%
(d) consumer products: 23.3%
(e) medical: 7.2%
(f) academic institutions: 10.9%
(g) government/military: 3.8%
(h) other: 12.2%
Source: Wohlers Associates, Inc.

APPLICATIONS. How do your customers use RP models? Provide a percentage
estimate for each of the following categories. Organizations use RP models
for many purposes, so the percentages will likely add up to more than 100
percent.

(a) visual design aids for engineering: 19.3%
(b) visual design aids for toolmakers: 9.6%
(c) functional models: 15.8%
(d) fit and assembly: 14.8%
(e) ergonomic studies: 2.8%
(f) requesting quotes: 2.0%
(g) presenting proposals: 3.5%
(h) patterns for prototype tooling: 13.5%
(i) patterns for metal castings: 12.8%
(j) core and cavity inserts (created directly on the RP machine): 3.8%
(k) other: 3.0%
Source: Wohlers Associates, Inc.

Additional market data is available in a new 96-page industry report.
Thanks again for your responses.

Terry Wohlers
Wohlers Associates, Inc.
twohlers@compuserve.com