Re: ROLAND PICZA/MODELA

From: Dasisgoot@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 20 1999 - 03:33:32 EEST

I have used both pieces of equipment for over a year now, have used the Picza
digitizer
substantially more than the Modela since I also purchased a Max NC mill for
milling.

I use Imageware's Surfacer in conjunction with the point data produced from
the Picza with very good results for surfacing small parts and doing
demonstrations. Accuracy is OK for the majority jobs which I use it for.
The software that came with the equipment is a bit toyish in the user
interface department, but its extremely easy to use and once your famliar
with it you can easily set up the component to be digitized and walk away. It
allows the user to shade the point cloud and rotate the dataset around on the
screen.

The user has full control over the size X and Y dimensions of the
digitizing field, the travel of the digitizing probe z depth and the density
of the points. Depending upon how dense the scan is, operating time can take
anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours. Only one half of the item
can be "scanned" at a time and if both sides are to be done, the point clouds
have to be re-registered together to define the complete part.
I have a few example datasets if your interested.

Martin