Re: direct manufacturing or production

From: Carsten Freyer (fre@ipt.rwth-aachen.de)
Date: Fri Nov 05 1999 - 18:25:51 EET

Hi Elaine, hi to all,

yes, why not.

I think this could be one of the strategies for future. Of course, it won't be
the solution for all the world's problems, but why not considering about
understanding "RP" as "Rapid Production" instead of just "Protoyping". In many
cases - and that in future much more than today - the RP/T techniques may open
ways we did not had before in terms of time needed or features that will be able
to be produced.
For many fabricants there seem to be still some walls in their heads that have
tried to break down when talking about RP: "OK, that was the prototype - it's
fine, but now let's come to the real parts..." Please do not misunderstand me,
but in many cases this seems to me the way of thinking. I think it is a question
of acceptance and confidence the people have into our RP-technologies. However,
that does not disengage the manufactuerers and researchers dealing with RP from
having to do their very best to improve the results we have now. When the first
guys have been jumping from hills with selfmade wings, nobody did also expect
people flying to the moon some day....

Have a nice weekend,
best regards,

Carsten :-)

Dipl.-Ing. Carsten Freyer

Fraunhofer Institute of Production Technology IPT
Steinbachstr. 17
D-52074 Aachen
Germany
Tel. +49 (0)241 8904 124